Thank you so much for stopping by Jellibean Journals! I’m Jelli and I started Jellibean Journals in 2009 to share the desserts that I was selling. Since then JBJ has branched out to inspire you with creative kids’ activities, tips for simple & natural living, DIYs, flavorful fare, and adventures in faith.
You can watch the quick video version or keep right on reading!
Don’t miss a thing! Sign up for my weekly spam-free newsletter to keep up with the best of JBJ and to score your FREE blog post checklist and Pinterest templates. Also, be sure to follow me on Twitter, the quickest way to connect with me.
Who I am.
I go by Jelli ’round these parts, a childhood nickname of sorts. I grew up in the Midwest and now live in Costa Rica with my genius of a husband, a 4 year-old ballerina wannabe, 2 year-old adventure hero, and a cheeky pink newborn daughter.
I’m your average stay-at-home mom with not-so-average baking skills. When I’m not constructing bed sheet forts with my little girl or changing cloth diapers, I’m developing new dessert recipes.When you check out my recipe files you might think my family lives in a permanent sugar coma, but I assure you that I’m actually a health nut with intense weekend sugar cravings. I’d post wholesome meal plans for you, but the truth is that we just cram the fridge with local farmer’s market produce, throw things together, and eat whatever comes out of it. Only desserts merit recipes ’round here.
I learned to cook when in university. Since I’ve always been crazy about eating, learning to create flavorful dishes became a fun pastime that’s allowed me to save money and learn a lot about nutrition. Most of the recipes you find here are from-scratch and for sale here.
Our house here in Costa Rica is small, and I’m a minimalist. Clothes are constantly being donated, kitchen gadgets finding new homes, and you’ll never see a duplicate item in the house, unless it’s one of those pesky pens that get borrowed and rarely returned. Anybody else have that problem?
We live frugally. Like let’s-squeeze-the-toothpaste-tube-until-our-fingers-are-sore-frugal. I love creating homemade skin care products and am a huge ambassador for cloth diapers. My toddler and I have tons of fun cultivating veggies in the front yard and just started composting too. Still learning about the latter, so if you’ve got great composting tips, send me a line!
I’m crazy about my outdated but new-to-me DSLR camera. It’s so rewarding watching my pics improve as I learn how to photograph my family and toy with taking droolworthy food photos. Best. Investment. Ever.
5 more quirky facts about moi
if you’re still reading…
- Grew up in the Midwest, studied Modern Languages, spent a year in uni abroad in Costa Rica, and a few years later landed my hottie husband here too!
- Never wanted kids until I got married and now can’t imagine my life without them.
- Lindt fanatic. The hubs and I nearly cried when we found out they’d discontinued the Lemon Tart bar.
- Globe-trotter. My husband and I could both toss on a backpack and go in a moment’s notice. God designed us peculiar this way, since He tends to send us into mission work. We love it! Current digs: Costa Rica.
- Lover of creativity, Dickens novels, homemade caramels, piña-fresa batidos, sharpened pencils- not pens, chocolate truffle cake, Julie Andrews musicals, cappuccinos, and oatmeal breakfasts.
I met Husband here in Costa Rica volunteering. He was the hottie translator and I was in awe, and still am. We’re now a happy family of four doing our best to make God smile.
Check out these posts for a glimpse into our life:
- Mama Life in Costa Rica
- Navigate the Holidays with a Christmas Roadmap
- Cheddar Garlic Biscuits & an Irksome Embassy Run
I’d love to hear from you! Email me at jelli[at]jellibeanjournals.com and we can talk about kids, DIYs, life hacks, and the best Starbucks drinks.