It’s pouring outdoors and the only thing your baby wants to do? Scramble out the front door lickety-split! Next time inclement weather hits, make the most of being indoors with your baby. Spend time playing together using these 25 rainy activities to do with 12-18 month-olds!
These playtime ideas also work great for 1st-time dads who have a hard time coming up with what to do with baby!
- Put baby in a blanket and pull them around the room.
- Make a “snake” out of clothespins by clipping one to another.
- Roll a ball back and forth.
- Sing “The Wheels on the Bus” using animated gestures
- Play in the bath together.
- Sing “The Itsy Bitsy Spider” complete with tickles!
- Have a tactile snack. Let baby eat with his fingers
- Create a drumset with pots, pans, and spatulas for baby to whack.
- Blow bubbles together. Here’s a great recipe for giant bubbles baby will love!
- Hold baby’s hands and “walk” him if he’s still learning.
- Write a letter together for your spouse. Baby can scribble the artwork!
- Show baby how to put things into a tissue box and then how to pull them out.
- Sing a song about baby.
- Take a walk together. Show baby the flowers and let him touch the petals.
- Read a book together. This is one of our favorite children’s books.
- Sit baby in his highchair and let him bang plastic cups to make noise.
- Play baby a song on any instrument you play. Tambourine, anyone?!
- Place 3 toys in a box and ask baby to take out each toy by name.
- Play peek-a-boo.
- Sing a song about your family with choreography!
- Make baby a shampoo mohawk and show him in the mirror.
- Show baby how to work light switches. On. Off. On. Off.
- Pass baby a toy and have him pass it back to you or give it to a sibling.
- Using a shape sorting toy, practice naming shapes and placing them into their respective slots.
- Flip through a family album of baby’s photos. Tell him the stories behind each photograph.
What are your favorite rainy day activities for babies? Please share your child’s faves in the comments below!