Savory sweet onion muffins are the perfect comfort food! Pair them with soups and salads, scrambled eggs and a slice of avocado for breakfast, or devour a yummy muffin with your afternoon coffee fix.A red rumpled magazine page filled with red ribbon-winning muffin recipes lives in my recipe binder. It’s been there over a decade. To be honest, I’d always had intentions of baking the cappuccino muffins, fudgy banana muffins, and even the cherry cream cheese almond muffins. But never the onion muffins. Until recently.
Onions in muffins? My husband still can’t understand it.
In fact, he calls them biscuits because savory muffins just don’t fit the “muffin” mold. Clearly the man needs a little lesson on the difference between a flaky biscuit and the muffin method. These muffins are thee rival for Red Lobster’s Garlic Cheddar Biscuits.
I digress.These sweet onion muffins are a superb savory side. My 3 children even gobble them down. I added cheddar cheese to the original recipe. Maybe that’s why?
Butter. This recipe is full of it. If you’re on a bikini-body diet right now, please bookmark this recipe because right now it just ain’t happening for you. Sorry.
As for the rest of us, this just may become the new “cornbread” or “biscuits” tucked into the bread basket on your dining table.
Let’s get our bake on!
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1½ c. walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat eggs, onion, and butter to blend.
- Stir wet into dry ingredients until moistened. Fold in walnuts and cheese.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until done. Cool 5 minutes in pan before turning out to a cooling rack.
P.S. Try these savory muffins with my favorite summer lunch, cowboy caviar!
P.P.S. This recipe doubles beautifully.
What’s the craziest dish that you’ve fallen in love with but never would’ve guessed was SO GOOOOOD? Please share in the comments!