Rush to your pantry, now! Scan the root vegetables lying in the dark bins pleading to leave their shadowy resting places. Carrots? Squash? Zucchini? Any of those catch your eye? Great! Snatch up a large carrot, and a small squash or zucchini, and follow me into the kitchen to make the most rich, chocolatey brownies you’ve ever tasted that boasted a “healthy” stamp of approval.
I’ve tasted my share of “healthified” baked goods. Frankly, few have been good while many have made their way to the trash bin wadded into a napkin. These brownie bites, my dear friends, are really, truly, BROWNILICIOUS! They have the same density, moisture, richness, chocolatey satisfaction and texture as my favorite five-star brownies.No lies! If you lovingly bake this recipe as printed, and you don’t find them to be the sweet chocolate-craving soothers that I claim them to be, I will remove this post to avoid misleading any other readers. Convinced? I hope so!
The brownie chip muffin bites are my adaptation from a carrot-spinach brownie found in Jessica Seinfeld’s Deceptively Delicious cookbook. Kate at WarmOlives gratefully chose me as the lucky recipient of this book in mid-September, as she continues to adopt out her cookbooks and award them to very smitten food blogger recipients. Check out her blog weekly to win! She still has quite a stash to be given away, including some highly prized titles.
- ½ c. semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- ½ c. carrot puree
- ½ c. squash and chayote puree
- ¼ c.+ 2T. cocoa powder
- ¾ c. white sugar
- 2T. margarine
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 egg white 1egg
- ¾ c. flour
- ½ t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ½ t. instant coffee powder or 1T. fresh hot espresso
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Add purees, sugar, cocoa, margarine, vanilla, egg, and coffee to a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Gently stir remaining ingredients (except chips) into the mixing bowl to combine. Spread evenly in baking dish or divide evenly among muffin cups. Sprinkle chocolate chips evenly atop muffins.
- Place in center of oven and bake 20-22 minutes.