Nothing beats a chocolate cookie muffin with crunchy chocolate cookie chunks in every bite!
Putting chocolate sandwich cookies into muffins? GENIUS! Cookies in cupcakes– been there, done that. Oreo cheesecake- checkity check. Cookie cup cheesecakes- yesterday’s news. But muffins filled with crunchy cookie gobs, that’s a whole new story!
Studded with cookies and topped with those same delicious chocolate cookies, you’d almost think this was a cupcake, but it’s not. In fact, the muffin batter doesn’t include much sugar and the crumb is dense, as a proper muffin should be. Of course, I’m not bold enough to say we should serve chocolate cookie muffins for breakfast, but they sure taste grand with a cup of coffee to get you over the afternoon energy slump.
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 16 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 Oreo cookies, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup vanilla or white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 12 muffin cups with papers or grease well.
- Prepare topping by combining flour, cocoa powder, and sugar. Cut in butter and then stir in Oreo cookies. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until it resembles gravel. Beat in egg and milk. Stir in remaining ingredients until moistened. Do not overmix. Fold in cookies. Fill muffin tins ⅔ full.and sprinkle with topping.
- Bake 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted removes clean. Cool 5 minutes and remove muffins to a cooling rack.
- In a saucepan or better yet, in a water bath, melt white chocolate with shortening over low heat, stirring regularly. Quickly remove from heat and drizzle over cooled muffins. If the chocolate isn't drizzling beautifully, spoon it into a small sandwich bag and snip off a corner. Pipe over muffins.
- Store any leftover muffins in an airtight container.
If you’re bread-basket crazy like I am, you’ll love these recipes too!