How to Easily Roll Out Pie Crusts

Let’s face it, rolling out pie crusts is not much fun. That’s why Pillsbury makes millions every year stashing their pre-made pie crusts in the refrigerator section of nearly every grocery store in America.

During the holidays, pies are everywhere. Why not make your next pie experience a whole lot smoother?

Rolling out pie crusts is the #1 reason why cookies and cakes pirouette out of my oven much more frequently than any pie.

My husband happens to love pies. While baking his requested lemon pie, I discovered how to easily roll out pie crusts.

This simple pie crust rolling trick makes my life easier, and pies much more frequent at our dinner table. Here it is:

how to roll out pie crusts fast

Roll out the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap.

See, I told you it was simple! Plastic wrap makes rolling simple for a few reasons.

1. There’s no need to flour any surface, which means less mess.
  2. Plastic wrap is ultra flexible, so after removing the top layer of cellophane, you can invert the pie plate over the center of the dough, flip it over, adjust if necessary, and easily peel away the plastic.
  3. You can re-use the same two pieces of cellophane multiple times. Just stash it in your freezer bag along with your discs of pre-made dough.

Tell me: How do you speed up pie making?

photo jellisigtextpng_zpsa983b4e7.png
Follow on G+ | Like on Facebook | Tweet with me

Comments

1. says

I’ve been using waxed paper (well, actually the shiny side of freezer paper), but that’s not perfect. I’ll have to give plain old plastic wrap a try! Thanks!

• Jelli says

Diana, I tried parchment paper before plastic wrap, and though it’s a little different from waxed paper, the stiffness of it makes removing the paper once the crust is pressed into the pie pan a little tricky. Do tell me what you think of the cellophane.

2. says

Oh wow…what a great idea! I love making pies (I know, I’m probably a bit unusual) but it is tricky flipping the dough into the pan. I am definitely going to try this next time. Thanks for sharing! (Found you via Balancing Beauty and Bedlam)

• Jelli says

You love making pies! You should be our next door neighbor. What a treat ;) I hope this cellophane trick makes your crust flipping easier. It certainly has for me! Thanks for popping by this week, Lydia.

3. says

So I will admit, I have yet to ever make a pie, but I was just recently talking to my husband about trying my hand at baking. I will definitely be keeping this trick in mind when I do start. Thanks for sharing.

• Jelli says

Christa, you’ve got nothing to lose for trying your hand at pie-baking, except maybe calories :) If you need an easy recipe, I’d highly suggest this chocolate pie. My husband even stirs that one together and we love it!

• Jelli says

Don’t feel guilty at all, Gabby! You’re a busy mama so just making pies in the first place is something to pat yourself on the back about. I grew up on Pillsbury pie crusts and to this day don’t think my mother has tried anything else. Happy to have “placed” at your fiesta this week. Thanks for visiting.