Somedays you just need comfort food. And fast. Lemon custard cake is a zingy zesty cake full of bold lemon flavor with the quaint homey feel of creamy custard-meets-soufflé. Serve it warm for an instant day brightener!
Packing up house for an international move, my sister-in-law gifted me this cookbook this month and I can’t. get. enough. Last week I penned the entire menu plan around this brilliant book save breakfast, which is generally one of two things: overnight oats or eggs, fruit, and homemade corn tortillas.
Lemon custard cake fit the bill for the perfect light lunch dessert this week. A friend of mine stopped over for lunch and a kiddo play date. She’s a mad for lemons (and actually brought along a box of her favorite lemon cookies to share) as is my husband, so I HAD to make this custard cake. Big win. I made it again 3 days later.
The original recipe suggests dividing the cake batter into 6 ramekins and baking them in a hot water bath. Who’s got time for that? Instead, I took a shortcut and opted for the fine print suggestion to pour the batter into a shallow baking pan.
Big made-to-share cakes just feel cozier to me. It’s also easier to hide telltale spoonfuls you may or may not have taken from the edge pieces. Not that I’d know anything about that.
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Sparingly butter the an 8" square baking dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar until lightened and thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in flour followed by lemon zest, juice, and milk.
- Beat egg whites and salt until stiff.
- Fold egg whites into cake batter and pour into prepared 8" square baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes. Allow to cool 20 minutes before serving. Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with berries.
For more delicious recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest. If you’re hungry for great food fast then definitely add this cookbook to your Amazon cart.
*This post is in no way compensated. I just plain love this cookbook and know you will too!