Homemade Olive Oil Night Cream

Making your own night cream can save you tons of money each year. I used to be a Clinique girl, but once I tried making my own homemade olive night cream from natural ingredients, I bade farewell to the lady at the beauty counter for good.Homemade Olive Oil Night Cream- made from 100% natural ingredients, this comes together in minutes and saves you money! #skincare #nightcream | JellibeanJournals.comIt’s just plain fun to mix up your own night cream in a few quick minutes right in your own kitchen.

Bonus #1: this eye cream works as a makeup remover too! Smear a bit over eyes and wipe clean with a soft cloth or cotton swab.

You might be wondering what kinds of ingredients can promise you the same youthful moisturized glow as the high-end night cream counterparts. Well… let’s just say we’re going Cleopatra-style using natural ingredients that have been beauty staples for thousands of years. Learn how to make 400+ organic beauty products here.Homemade Olive Oil Night Cream- Melt and pour, fast and easy 100% natural way to moisturize as you sleep. MUST TRY THIS! | JellibeanJournals.comOlive oil has long been used for beauty treatments. It’s not so much a moisturizer itself, but provides a barrier to lock in the moisture  while we get our beauty sleep. It’s also chock-full of antioxidants to stave off premature aging.

Many expensive night creams, like Lancome’s $180 Absolue Night Precious Cells, include mineral oil among the first ingredients. If you’ve done much research about mineral oil, you know how controversial it is to put it on your skin. I’d prefer the better-safe-than-sorry route myself.

Bonus #2: You can use this cream solid or whipped!100% Natural Olive Oil Night Cream- Easy to make solid or whipped. **Gotta try this whipped!** #skincare #nightcream #diycream | Jellibean JournalsCoconut oil is a great moisturizer. Lately, coconut oil is all the rage among beauty experts, researchers, and natural beauty aficionados, and for good reason. It helps hydrate skin, improving both the health and appearance of skin.

You can use coconut oil for your skin as well as for conditioning your hair. It is packed with vitamins and nutrients. I use it to soothe diaper rash and to remove cradle cap from my babies’ heads. I’ve also been known to smooth it on as lip balm in a pinch.

Vitamin E is an antioxidant that repairs and protects skin. It  slows the process of aging by preventing cellular damage. 100% Natural Olive Oil Night Cream- Easy to make solid or whipped. **Gotta try this whipped!** #skincare #nightcream #diycream | Jellibean JournalsLet’s make a pot of homemade olive oil night cream!! This recipe makes enough to fill a small baby food jar.

Olive Oil Night Cream

Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Combine olive oil, coconut oil, and beeswax in a small saucepan and heat on low, stirring occasionally, until everything is melted. Prick a hole in the vitamin e capsules and squeeze in vitamin e and add lavender oil. Cool.
  2. If you'd like to whip the cream, cool it until solid and whip until fluffy. I use a tall plastic cup and insert one beater of a hand mixer to whip the cream. If you have trouble getting it to whip, place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and try again. It should remain fluffy without further refrigeration unless it gets hot.
  3. Store night cream at room temperature. If it gets too warm and melts, just cool it and it will solidify again. This will not affect the cream in any way. Cream will last a couple of months at room temperature due to the antifungal/antimicrobial components of the coconut oil.

I’ve been using this night cream for about a month and have been exceptionally happy with the results. It is gentle and doesn’t irritate my skin. I’d been using the oil cleansing method, but something in the mix left my face itchy. I now use a gentle face cleanser at night and follow up with this olive oil night cream.100% Natural Olive Oil Night Cream- Easy to make solid or whipped. **Gotta try this whipped!** #skincare #nightcream #diycream | Jellibean JournalsIt goes on smoothly and takes awhile to lose a greasy after-feel, but I kind of like it, knowing that the olive oil has created a mighty moisture barrier to last me through the night. If you’re not into the post-shower shiny face, go ahead and use this as an eye cream. It works great!

Try it and let me know what you think down in the comments below! If you’d love to try this but just don’t have the time to make it yourself, contact me & I’d be happy to sell you a pretty little jar of your very own.

Read to your health! Check out more of my natural skincare posts:

Follow on G+ | Like on Facebook | Tweet with me

Comments

• Jelli says

Katie, you’re in for a treat! Isn’t it great that so many natural beauty products use the same basic ingredients?! So glad you had the things on hand so you can try it out soon. Thank you so much for stopping by. Hope to see you around again soon!

• Trish says

This will work as a daily moisturizer as well. Just apply a small amount when your face is still damp from your morning wash and if you feel it is still too “heavy” put a small amount in the palm of your hand add a couple of drops of water, rub hands together then apply to your face.

• Jelli says

T means tablespoon. Sorry for the confusion, Inger. Thanks for asking! I’ll have to update the recipe because I’m sure you’re not the only one wondering about this.

1. says

Wow! Love this Jelli! I have been wanting to get a good quality moisturizer for night especially because I am a sun goddess when the summer comes and I NEED that moisturizing touch at night. Now I can make it at home! LOVE it! Pinned.

• Jelli says

Thanks so much, Krista! I love sunshiny days, but am that oddball who covers up, even at the beach. I’m pretty much always hitting the waves in a rashguard. So glad you liked the recipe. Hope you find time to mix up a batch soon.

• Jelli says

Thank you so much, Emily! I’ve been eying all sorts of natural beauty products online recently, most notably here and just had to try my own hand at it. Thank you for stopping by. Hope to see you around again soon!

2. says

My skin has been so dry lately with all the cold weather so this homemade olive oil night cream sounds perfect! Can’t wait to try making it since I think I should have everything at home :)

• Jelli says

Kelly, do you make other natural skincare products at home since you mentioned you’re stocked with all the supplies? Just curious. I’m always interested in learning more about making beauty products at home. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you give the night cream a try!

• Kelly says

I just started gathering the supplies since I have wanted to try making some at home but haven’t started yet so I am excited to try this one :) Thanks again for sharing and hope you have a great weekend!

• Jelli says

Great, Shannon. I’d love to hear how you like it when you get a batch mixed up. I’ve also used olive oil on my face as part of the oil cleansing method (mixed with castor oil). It was great at removing makeup- especially the hard-to-remove eye makeup. Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Jelli says

Let me know how your skin fares if you give it a try, Jessica. Mine isn’t too sensitive so I can’t say too much about how sensitive skin would react, but the ingredients are pretty basic. Thanks for visiting.

3. Darcy says

Love this recipe. I have been using olive oil straight from the bottle as my eye make-up remover and it’s the best. And then either coconut oil or grape seed oil as a moisturizer. Using witch hazel as a toner is great also. I love the smell of it too.

• Jelli says

Thanks for the tips, Darcy! My mother-in-law also uses straight olive oil to remove makeup. She keeps a bottle by the bathroom sink. It works great- in my opinion better than even fancy eye makeup removers because it doesn’t burn at all. I’ve also heard of using witch hazel as a toner, but haven’t done it yet. Glad you liked the night cream recipe and so happy you stopped by with even more natural beauty ideas! Hope to see you around again soon.

• Jelli says

You know, Laney, I’ve never tried olive oil in my hair. How do you apply it? This sounds like a fun beauty treatment for one of those nights when my kids are fast asleep, my husband’s at a meeting, and I’m home alone with time to spare (that doesn’t happen very often!) Thanks for stopping by. Hope you give the night cream a test-drive!

• Jelli says

Great, Kim! Please stop by after you’ve tried it and give me your feedback. I’d love to know what you think! Thank you so much for visiting this weekend.

• Jelli says

Wonderful, Liz! I hope you love it, but even if not, I’d still love the feedback since I’m sure I’ll be fiddling with the recipe to see if I can make it even better (though honestly I’m smitten with the current proportions.) Thank you for stopping by!

• Jelli says

Thanks so much, Stephanie! I came up with this night cream because I’d seen SO many coconut oil-based body lotions recently and wanted to see how I could incorporate olive oil in as a healthy companion. This took me a few tries to come up with a reliable recipe that worked well both solid and whipped. To be honest, I was hoping I could pull it off without the coconut oil, but it seems essential to getting the cream to whip up fluffy and keep it solid without adding tons of wax. Hope you do give it a try and come back to review!

4. says

This is great! I am assuming that it doesn’t clog pores ? I have pretty oily skin and have to watch out for that. Although I have definitely heard a lot about the terrible effects of mineral oil!
    Amberly Steele recently posted…My First PalletMy Profile

• Jelli says

Amberly, I can’t vouch for whether or not this would clog pores. I know that for me it hasn’t caused any breakouts, but my skin is normal and not too prone to breakouts anyway. I looked around online and according to this article from Self, olive oil is non-comodogenic and doesn’t clog pores. If you try it, be sure to come back and let me know how the cream reacted with your skin. Thanks for coming by, Amberly.

5. Stephanie says

I can’t wait to try this! I love to use natural products on my skin. My daughter has eczema and we use olive oil to treat her breakouts because she has such sensitive skin. I love the way she smells after using it. I am curious as to where I can buy beeswax.

• Jelli says

Stephanie, the recipe includes a link to purchase beeswax on Amazon. Additionally, most people who have hives will gladly sell you some wax. You could also check your local health food store. Hope this helps! Glad to hear that you’ve had positive experience in treating your daughter’s eczema with olive oil. I didn’t know that was a remedy. Always happy to learn more natural remedies! Have a beautiful weekend.

• Jelli says

Melissa, this cream can be used either way, as I mentioned in the post. I use it as an over-all face cream but if you don’t like a little greasiness all over your face, it is a perfect eye cream! Thanks for visiting!

• Jelli says

Smiles. Thanks so much, Jennifer, for sharing my work. This cream is delightful and I use it every single night.

• Jelli says

Thank you so much, Teri! Hope you give it a try and let me know how it works for you. Thank you for visiting today. Hope to see you around again soon.

6. Paola Diaz says

It was very easy to do it, and I can’t wait to use it. Thank you and i know it will be wonderful. ^_^

• Jelli says

So happy to hear it, Paola! Thanks so much for lending some feedback. My face is actually slathered in this cream right now. Hope you love it!

7. Glenda says

Hello, I will love to make this cream but I am allergic to coconut, so can it be possible to substitute the coconut oil for any other oil, for example almond oil?
    Thanks in advance for your response
    Kind regards

• Jelli says

Glenda, I’m not sure what oil you could substitute for the coconut oil, since coconut oil’s solid-at-room-temperature consistency is part of what keeps this solid. I’d love to know the answer to your question myself… If I come up with anything, I’ll let you know!

8. Rachel says

I just made some as Mothers Day gifts but I could not find beeswax. Hoping it still turns out. Cooling in fridge nowand hoping it will still set up with the coconut oil in it. If not I suppose it will still be nice as a cuticle oil maybe? Thank you
    !

• Jelli says

Rachel, I’d love to hear how it does turn out without the wax. I tried it before and it ended up as a thick oil. You can liken it to cuticle oil (clever!) or eye cream since it’s always recommended to apply eye cream gently and it will just smooth over the eye area beautifully. Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know you gave it a try!

9. Bobbie says

Could you use shea butter or another oil as a substitue for the coconut oil in this recipe? I’m allergic to coconut, but assume you need it as an additional thickening agent along with the beeswax.

• Jelli says

Bobbie, you could probably toy with adding some shea butter, but I’d add a little less than what the recipe calls for when subbing it for coconut oil, since shea butter is a little more solid at room temp. Do give it a try and report back. I’d love to know how it turns out, especially since you’re not the first one to ask this question. Apparently coconut allergies are more common than I ever knew!

• Jelli says

Anh, I’m not familiar with how snail mucus would affect the final consistency of the night cream, but you could try it and see what happens. Thanks for stopping by this week!

• Jelli says

Way to go making mayo from scratch! My husband and I used to head a school cafeteria and we made mayo all the time, but prior to that, I’d never known it was even possible. Though this skincare recipe is a far cry from mayo (thank goodness, haha) I think you’ll love it, Jennifer. Let me know what you think when you give it a try. I still use this every night and love it- it’s especially great for slicking off waterproof eye makeup!

10. says

Looks like a great recipe! I love homemade beauty products,. These ingredients are so great for the skin!

Thanks for linking up to Natural Living Monday!

• Jelli says

Andrea, I’d love to know what your favorite homemade beauty products are! I’m still learning a lot about DIY beauty and always on the lookout for new things to try. Thank you so much for stopping by this weekend! Hope to see you around again soon.

11. Allison says

This sounds great! Do you think I could add a bit of tea tree oil to it without affecting the consistency?

• Jelli says

I sure think so. A few drops shouldn’t make much of a difference. You could also swap out the lavender oil for tea tree oil.

• Jelli says

Hmmm. I don’t know what you might be able to substitute. If you use plenty of coconut oil it will firm up at room temperature, but I’ve never tried it without the wax. Let me know if you go for it and how it turns out!

12. Monique says

I tried this and I think maybe I’ve messed up somewhere, it firms up at room temp but the moment my fingers make contact with it, it melts into just oil. I still slathered it all over my face and I have to admit it does feel luxurious but I thought it was supposed to have more of a creamy texture. I whipped it after it cooled. Not sure where I went wrong….

• Jelli says

Monique, I think you did it right. Mine also melts into an oil as I apply it. If it whipped up then it probably came out as it should.

• Jelli says

You can buy beeswax online via the link in this post; it’s in the ingredients list OR try a natural health foods store. If they don’t sell it they’ll be sure to know where to refer you to buy some. For me, online is always easier so that’s where I buy.

13. Lia says

I made this and love it! Thank you! I used avaocado oil instead of the olive oil and put 10 drops of frankincense instead of the lavender. This will always be my go to night time cream

• Jelli says

Wahoo! So glad you liked it Lia. It’s still my go-to as well. I can only imagine that fragrance with the frankincense oil. Nice!