Best Ever Split Pea Soup

Some days just call for a warm, comforting bowl of soup. I’ll be honest, I cheerfully devour soup in sweltering hot weather just as easily as slurping down a bowl in the middle of winter cozied up beside a roaring fireplace. Split pea soup with ham is one of my all-time favorites.Split Pea Soup- Get dinner on the table on the busiest nights with this simple and delicious soup. #soup | Jellibean JournalsSplit pea soup is quick and easy. It’s perfect for the novice cook and anyone hoping to get dinner on the table in a hurry. All you’ve got to do to make this rich, hearty soup is toss a few ingredients into the pot and wait while it simmers away.

Serve this soup with artisan bread and a glass of wine and call it a feast. It’s such an easy and inexpensive meal that’s actually nutritious and delicious too. Photogenic…not so much, but I did manage a few decent pics courtesy of the tips I learned here.Split Pea Soup- Toss in the ingredient and forget about it. No-fuss delicious dinner served! #soup #peasoup | JellibeanJournals.comThis soup so good that you can even make it without the ham and still get a bowlful of bonkers good flavor. I’ve done that a time or two when the supermarket didn’t have ham bones and was amazed by how great the soup tasted even without the smoky ham.

I made this recipe in a pressure cooker. Split pea soup is highly adaptable and turns out just as yummy in a pot on the stove for about one and a half hours or in a slow cooker. You can bet that if my Crockpot hadn’t cracked last month that this would have been a slow cooker recipe, that’s how I roll when it comes to soup.Split Pea Soup- Toss in the ingredient and forget about it. No-fuss delicious dinner served! #soup #peasoup | JellibeanJournals.com

Pressure Cooker Split Pea Soup

Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 500 g (~1lb.) dried split peas
  • 8 c. water
  • 1 ham bone with meat
  • 3 carrots
  • 2 stalks celery
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chives for adornment
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in pressure cooker. Bring to pressure over high heat. When the pot begins to sizzle reduce heat and cook pressurized for 20 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat and allow to sit until depressurized.
  3. Open carefully, stir well and add seasonings to taste. If you'd like a thinner soup, stir in a cup or two of water until it suits you. Serve with minced chives,

What are your favorite soup sidekicks? I love to serve soup with crusty baguettes, garlic cheddar biscuits, or just plain buttered whole grain toast. Yes, we’re bread-a-holics around here.Split Pea Soup- Toss in the ingredient and forget about it. No-fuss delicious dinner served! #soup #peasoup | JellibeanJournals.comI do love soup with salad too, but if I tried to force my husband to down both soup and salad in one sitting he’d probably hop into the car and head to the nearest restaurant. He’s a Mafalda. Thankfully, I can make big pots of split pea soup without worrying about finishing it all by myself because my toddler loves soup… and pretty much every other food she’s encountered. It’s great!Don’t forget to share your favorite things to serve with soup down in the comments below.

For more tasty treats and recipe inspiration be sure to follow me on Pinterest!

Follow on G+ | Like on Facebook | Tweet with me

Comments

1. says

Ive never used a pressure cooker, but have been dying to try it out. This recipe seems perfect with all this weather!!

Stopping by for some #SITSblogging love <3

• Jelli says

Sara, before I moved to Costa Rica, I’d never even seen a pressure cooker. Since everyone here uses one (they’re great for cooking dry beans!) I learned how and now use mine pretty regularly. Don’t be afraid of it blowing it’s lid. It’s safe if used as the directions tell you and is great for making soups and tenderizing meats. Hope you give the soup a try!

2. says

I’ve never made split pea soup, but I love the ease and convenience of making tasty, healthy soups from scratch. (Though, as you pointed out, a lot of veggie soups don’t LOOK nearly as good as they taste!) :) Maybe I’ll pick up some split peas at the grocery store tomorrow!
    Rachel G recently posted…15 Must-Have Wedding PhotosMy Profile

• Jelli says

Thank you so much, Gloria! The soup is great alone, but what dinner doesn’t go great with a glass of wine, right? Happy you stopped by tonight. Have a beautiful week.

• Jelli says

Thank you, Bren. The pressure cooker worked great, definitely sped things up a lot compared to simmering stove top. Hope you and your family love it.

3. says

Love split pea soup and a big bowl of this sounds so good since it’s been so cold here lately! Love that you made this in a pressure cooker too :)

• Jelli says

Kelly, I’d have totally made this in my crockpot if I could’ve, but the pressure cooker, as I’m slowly finding out, is great! Hope you’re taking good care of yourself and that sweet little one these days. Enjoy new mommyhood second time around!

• Jelli says

Rach, your kids will love it! My daughter is a crazy soup fanatic and gobbles it down in seconds. Thank you so much for visiting. Be sure to stop back and let me know how you liked the recipe.

4. says

Hi Jelli! Thank you for linking up your Pea Soup to our Inspiration Monday Party. One of the perks to linking up is that you may be chosen to be featured on “Redhead’s Kitchen”. Your Pea Soup fits my theme “Green Veggies” this week. You will be featured this Wed. @ 12 noon EST @redheadcandecorate.com. Every week I will list the theme at the bottom of the party. In addition, your soup will be featured @ Debbie Doos next month when I do my contributors post. Congrats!

• Jelli says

Yay! Thank you so much, Julie. I love Inspiration Monday and have been linking up there since the party started. So happy you liked the recipe.