Last week four loaves of meaty cheesy bread goodness emerged from our warm oven in record time.
I love that!
Each loaf is prepared in less than 25 minutes, from mixing to sliding-into-oven time. These beauties are deliciously impressive and very filling- enough for a crowd. Expecting visitors for coffee? Impress them with one of these delightful braids.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages quick-rise yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ pound thinly sliced deli ham
- ½ pound sliced pastrami
- 3 slices Muenster cheese
- 3 slices Cheddar cheese
- oregano, basil, or herbs of choice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a mixing bowl, combine 3 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a glass measuring cup, warm mustard, water, and butter in the microwave. Add to flour mixture.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be stiff).
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (Or mix with dough hook in large mixer on med. for 6 minutes.)
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 14-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- Arrange ham over half the dough. Top with cheddar and sprinkle liberally with herbs. Top other half with remaining pastrami and muenster and sprinkle with herbs.
- Roll each rectangle up lengthwise, pinching together the seam and rolling the log a bit to seal.
- Cross ropes together in the center and continue to twist. Tuck ends under and pinch to seal.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Brush with beaten egg. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
What fillings would you like to see in my next loaf? Let me know in the comments!