Need a quick, no-frills chocolate cake recipe that delivers? Then you’ve got to try this moist chocolate cake recipe that’s sweetened entirely by brown sugar to enhance it with warm caramel flavor.
My husband loves inviting people over with zero notice. It’s a Costa Rican habit of his that’s not likely to change. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t drive me crazy sometimes!
The other day he invited spur-of-the-moment guests, and to show good Tico hospitality, I scurried to find a simple chocolate cake recipe that would fit the bill. My favorite chocolate mint brownie cheesecake was out of the question, and chocolate peanut butter cookie cups were too time consuming, so I landed on this rustic chocolate picnic cake.
It was perfect!
Rustic cakes are so humble, so homey, and ultimately a divinely comforting snack. Chocolate picnic cakes are a cinch to whip up in next to little time, fill your entire home with an unbeatable aroma, and are easy to serve on an actual picnic- just slice and serve. No messy frosting, no forks necessary.
Pass me another slice of chocolate cake, please! And pour me a peppermint mocha to go with it.
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 1¼ cups brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch coffee grounds
- Butter a 8x4" loaf pan and "flour" with cocoa (let's keep this chocolate cake brown, shall we?!) In a small saucepan whisk together the cocoa and ½ cup water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add baking soda and coffee. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, and oil in a large bowl until combined. Whisk in the vanilla. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly whisk dry ingredients into wet. Gently stir in the cocoa mixture. Pour into the pan and tap to remove air bubbles. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the cake is risen and a knife inserted comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes and unmold onto a serving dish. (Cake may be too moist and stick to a cooling rack.) Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and serve with coffee or tea.
Dream in chocolate? You’ll love these tasty treats too!