My great Uncle Jim is popular in his hometown for the incredible sour cream coffee cakes he passes out to neighbors and friends around the holidays. He knows I love ‘em so much that he always makes sure I get one, even if it means my mom totes it carefully through customs in her carry-on baggage until it makes it safely to my wooden dining table here in Costa Rica.
Since I think this cake’s a home run hit of a sour cream coffee cake, of course I’ve just got to share it with you. There are no complex methods involved, no ingredients that don’t already reside in your pantry, and no more than 10 minutes tops prep time involved. This is a simple, yummy cake that gets better with age, and the recipe makes two, so it’s great for sharing or freezing for another day.
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 sticks melted margarine or butter
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 3/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. white sugar
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- Mix eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and sour cream together in a large bowl.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, stir together, and add to wet. Mix well.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8″ baking pans.
- In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over both cakes evenly.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.
Happy baking, friends!