Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe

basic sour cream coffee cake recipeMy great Uncle Jim is popular in his hometown for the incredible sour cream coffee cakes he passes out to neighbors and friends around the holidays. He knows I love ‘em so much that he always makes sure I get one, even if it means my mom totes it carefully through customs in her carry-on baggage until it makes it safely to my wooden dining table here in Costa Rica.

Since I think this cake’s a home run hit of a sour cream coffee cake, of course I’ve just got to share it with you. There are no complex methods involved, no ingredients that don’t already reside in your pantry, and no more than 10 minutes tops prep time involved. This is a simple, yummy cake that gets better with age, and the recipe makes two, so it’s great for sharing or freezing for another day.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe

• 1 t. baking powder
  • Topping
  • 3/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/4 c. white sugar
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon

Instructions

Mix eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and sour cream together in a large bowl.

Combine dry ingredients in another bowl, stir together, and add to wet. Mix well.

Pour into 2 greased and floured 8" baking pans.

In a small bowl, combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over both cakes evenly.

Bake at 350F for 40 minutes.

Happy baking, friends!

photo jellisigtextpng_zpsa983b4e7.png
Follow on G+ | Like on Facebook | Tweet with me

Comments

1. says

Oh!! I have been looking for a coffee cake recipe! Now my question is, does it work with Tico natilla? And yes, I did a little facebook stalking…errrrrr research and found your blog and can I say it made me happy to see a like minded mama? We need to chat sometime for real about cloth diapers and all things crunchy granola :)

• Jelli says

Yep, Liz. I totally made this recipe with Tico natilla and probably the cheapest one I could find (Del Prado?) So happy you found my blog! It’s exciting to meet you here, since I don’t know any other bloggers in Costa Rica. Have a wonderful week.

2. says

Yum yum yum! I’m currently craving different things and that changes oh…about a million times a day lol. I wonder why? ;) This looks delicious! I’m totally printing out the recipe–so cool that you have that option to print from the post.

BTW–I saw your announcement post a few days ago but didn’t have the time to comment, so CONGRATS on baby #2! When’s your actual due date? So exciting :)

• Jelli says

Glad you like the recipe. Hope you are able to bake it at a time when your desire to eat it sticks around. I totally know what you mean there. Thanks for the congrats. We’ve not yet visited the Dr., but suspect the baby will be due at the end of July. Looking forward to reading your post tomorrow!

• Jelli says

Thank YOU for stopping by, Olga. We sure do think our little cutie’s pretty..That just might be true of all mamas ;)

3. says

Visiting from the Create and Inspire linky party…this looks sooo good! Thanks for sharing :) Pinning!
    - Brenda @ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com